Getting a better view into where and when your volunteers will be
SPENDING TOO MUCH OF YOUR VALUABLE TIME FIGURING OUT WHO IS COMING TO VOLUNTEER, WHEN AND WHERE THEY SHOULD GO?
Now that you have a steady stream of wonderful volunteers coming to support your organization, it can quickly become a challenge to get a clear picture on when those volunteers will arrive. Furthermore, if you operate in multiple locations or have many short-term volunteers, planning where they should be and what they will do becomes a time consuming and painful task.
SET UP A FEW SIMPLE TOOLS TO SAVE TIME PLANNING FOR INCOMING VOLUNTEERS
Whether using Google Forms or another tool, make sure to collect their Arrival Date and Departure Date. This data is required for the other planning tools in this ‘how to guide’. You can get started by using this Incoming Volunteer Form.
This tool is especially helpful if your volunteers are located in one place and you need a simple view to understand how many volunteers you will have and when.
Steps for using the Volunteer Planning Calendar.
- Open the template right click on the “Volunteer Forecast Calendar” tab and select “Copy To”
- Navigate to the File where you are collecting Basic Volunteer information (see see #1 in this guide)
- Next, update the formula in rows 12, 15, 18, 21, 24 to reference your Arrival Date and Departure Date columns
- Change ‘Form responses 2’!$H:$H and ‘Form responses 2’!$I:$I to match the columns where you store volunteer start and end dates
- NOTE: If you use our Google Form Template you do not need to change any formulas
- Change the Minimum # of Volunteers and Ideal # of Volunteers for your team
If you have volunteers based in different locations or volunteers with different roles, you may find this more helpful. This gantt chart style timeline can help make sure you have the right volunteers in the right place at the right time. Follow the Instruction tab in the tool to adjust it for your organization.